Do I Need Non-Owner Car Insurance?

Do I Need Non-Owner Car Insurance? — For certain individuals, driving a car is an infrequent activity. There are also those who don’t own a car but regularly drive when they travel. These drivers still require insurance coverage, so what choices do they have? Non-owner car insurance can provide an excellent solution for obtaining affordable coverage for drivers who don’t have their own vehicle but frequently rent cars, as the costs of over-the-counter car rental insurance can accumulate.

What Is Non-Owner Car Insurance?

Non-owner car insurance is a specialized form of insurance that provides protection when you’re driving a vehicle you don’t own. In the event of an accident or damage to property or injuries to others, this coverage comes into play to help cover medical expenses and repair costs.

According to, the average cost of non-owner car insurance is less than $400 per year. You can use their helpful tool to explore average costs by state. However, your individual rate may differ from the average based on factors such as the amount of liability insurance you choose, your personal driving history, and the state where you reside.

What Does Non-Owner Car Insurance Cover?

Non-owner car insurance policies generally offer the minimum coverage required by your state, although many plans provide options for additional coverage. These minimums typically include liability coverage for property damage and injuries caused by your driving, as well as uninsured/underinsured motorist protection, which safeguards you in case you’re injured by a driver with insufficient liability coverage. Additionally, these policies may include general medical payments or personal injury protection.

Non-owner liability coverage can also serve as secondary coverage when you borrow someone else’s car. The primary coverage will be provided by the owner’s personal insurance policy.

Very importantly, non-owner car insurance typically does not cover the following:

  • Comprehensive coverage that helps pay to replace or repair a vehicle stolen or damaged in an incident that wasn’t a collision
  • Collision coverage that helps pay to replace or repair a vehicle that was damaged in a collision
  • Towing reimbursements
  • Rental reimbursements

Where Can I Get Non-Owner Car Insurance?

There are numerous options available for individuals who drive infrequently and require essential coverage. Many major insurance companies offer non-owner car insurance, although certain insurers may have specific eligibility criteria or may require you to be an existing customer (such as Progressive, for instance).

To find the most suitable policy and rate based on your specific needs and location, it is recommended to compare offerings from different insurers. When purchasing non-owner car insurance, you will typically need your driver’s license number and a credit or debit card.

What Are My Other Options?

Although non-owner’s car insurance is a worthwhile investment for individuals who frequently rent vehicles, there are alternative options available that provide sufficient coverage for those who rarely drive.

  • Collision Damage Waiver (CDW): CDWs, whether purchased at the rental counter or through a credit card benefit, are insurance policies that protect against losses resulting from theft or damage to a rental car. It’s important to note that these policies do not cover personal injuries.
  • Third Party Offerings: Companies like Sure offer a variety of rental coverage options, including collision and liability insurance.


Leave a Comment